- Many users are getting error code 0x800f0831 while trying to install a cumulative update on Windows 11.
- To fix it, start by removing your existing VPN connection or the Proxy server which could restrict your system from communicating with the update servers.
- There are built-in system tools available on Windows 11 to scan and troubleshoot corrupted update files.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD FILE
Error code 0x800f0831 is an update error that may occur in Windows 11. Whenever you get this error message in the Windows Update tab, it restricts you from updating your OS.
These alphanumeric characters indicate nothing, but there are problems while installing the updates. The reason can be anything why this error occurs and your system halts the OS update for an infinite time. And, it is not a pleasant scenario to come across.
Many Windows 11 users have reported not being able to install the update files even after downloading them. This is a bug check that can’t be fixed yet with any official patch.
However, nothing to worry about! There are different workarounds you can try to fix this error. But before that, know the actual causes to apply the right troubleshooting method.
What causes the error code 0x800f0831 in Windows 11?
The potential triggers are quite similar to that of other Windows update errors. Here we’ve listed all major aspects that may lead to 0x800f0831 Windows 11 error.
- Conflict with another software: If the Windows update service is inaccessible due to conflict with an existing VPN, antivirus software, or a potentially unwanted program, you will see this error. You can remove any pre-installed software using AdwCleaner.
- Corrupted system files: Update file corruption can also be the trigger to show you this error code.
- Limited disk space: In case your disk drive is filled up with junk files and there is little to no storage left to save the Windows update files, error code 0x800f0831 will pop up. Remove junk files and free up space using CCleaner, one of the most-trusted PC cleaning tools.
- Damaged Windows update components: If the Windows update components are corrupted or damaged, your system can’t run the update service.
Irrespective of what is the reason in your case, our list of methods will enable you to resolve the update error 0x800f0831 on Windows 11.
For example., error codes 0x80080005, 0x80072EE7, 0x800f0988, 0x800f0986, 0xc1900107, 0x80070652, 0x8024a10a, 0x8024200D, or the annoying error message There were some problems installing updates but we’ll try again later ,etc.
Troubleshooting these errors in Windows 11 is quite similar to the process in Windows 10.
How do I fix the 0x800f0831 Windows 11 update error?
1. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings, then select System from the left pane and click on Troubleshoot from the right side.
- In the next window, click on Other troubleshooters.
- Navigate to Windows Update and click on the Run button at right.
- Finally, give the Windows Update troubleshooter a few minutes to scan and detect the problems in your system.
Once the diagnostic results are displayed, you can view the detailed information about the problems and resolve them manually. Then try to install the update again, and you shouldn’t face any issues anymore.
If nothing is found in the scan, close the troubleshooter and proceed to the next method to understand whether or not your system files are corrupted.
2. Run System File Checker
- Click the Windows icon from the taskbar.
- Type cmd in the search bar and from the search results, open Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the command and press Enter to run it:
- Give it a few minutes to complete the scan and restart your computer.
Now try to install the update files again. If there was any system file corruption, it should be repaired, and you must not further see the error code 0x800f0831.
In case that did not help, we recommend using Restoro that will automatically repair your PC after scanning it for any corrupted files or damaged registry entries.
3. Run DISM command tool
- Click the Windows icon from the taskbar.
- Type cmd in the search bar and choose Command Prompt to Run as administrator.
- Type the following commands in the Administrator: Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each command:
DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Scanhealth
DISM.exe / Online/ Cleanup-image / Restorehealth
4. Once done, type Exit and hit Enter to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window.
The DISM tool will take some time to finish the scan and fix the damaged system files. It is mostly used to fix different Windows corruption errors.
So, in this case, if your Windows 11 update files or service packs are not installed because of the corrupted system dependencies, that issue will get resolved.
4. Perform a clean boot
To perform a clean boot, first log into your PC with administrative privileges.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box, type in msconfig, and hit Enter.
- In the System Configuration window, navigate to the Services tab.
- Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all from the bottom.
- Now move on to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager window, click each entry and Disable them individually.
- Exit Task Manager and go back to the Startup tab in the System Configuration window, and select OK.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Your system will restart in a clean boot environment. Now try to install Windows update once again. If you’re still unable to run the latest version of Windows 11, try our next method.
5. Reset Windows Update components manually
- Click on the Windows icon from the taskbar first.
- Type in cmd in the search box and choose Run as administrator option for Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
When done, go to Task Manager to check whether the Windows Update service, BITS service, and Cryptographic service got stopped or not.
All the mentioned services should be stopped, and you must not see the error code 0x800f0831 again on Windows 11.
How to manually download and install Windows 11 updates from Microsoft Catalog?
If your Windows Update service remains unresponsive even after trying all the above-mentioned solutions, don’t worry. There is a way to manually download and install Windows 11 update files.
Microsoft Update Catalog includes a repository of Windows updates where you can find and install suitable updates on your system. Here is how to do that:
- First, access the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Next, enter the KB number of the update you want to download in the Search box.
- Now, from the search results, Download the one that matches your Windows OS version and system architecture.
- Once downloaded, open the file and install Windows 11 update.
The error code 0x800f0831 won’t pop up this time.
What to do if my PC doesn’t work as expected after an update?
Sometimes you may face issues on your system after installing certain Windows updates. Other than waiting for the next update to fix the issue, you can roll back to the previous version for an instant solution.
Follow the below steps to delete an update from Settings:
- Press the Windows + I buttons, select Windows Update, and navigate to Update History.
- On the next page, scroll down to find and click Uninstall updates.
- A new window will open now comprising all the updates, choose the one you want to uninstall and right-click.
- Finally, hit the Uninstall button.
The latest Windows update version will get uninstalled now. However, you should always try a fresh installation of the latest OS version as Windows updates are necessary for your PC to run smoothly.
That’s all! Our list of the 5 best methods to fix the 0x800f0831 Windows 11 update error ends here. No matter what workaround you try, if you follow each step as mentioned, you must not face any error.
Let us know which method worked for you. And, if you have anything else to add to this list, let us know through the comments box below.
Start a conversation
Source of this news: https://windowsreport.com/0x800f0831-windows-11/
Configuring a proxy is an essential step for internet security and privacy. Though some advocate a ‘one size fits all approach to proxy settings, tailoring your proxy to your specific use case can ma...
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 9, 2021--The "Neutral Hosting Market by Technology, Spectrum, Wireless Type, Solution, Deployment Modes and Industry Verticals 2021 - 2026" report has been added to Rese...
When you are at a school, college, or governmental institution, chances are that your access to certain websites is limited. This is especially true for social platforms or content sharing websites t...
FREMONT, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Blackmagic Design today announced DaVinci Resolve 18, a major new cloud collaboration update which allows multiple editors, colorists, VFX artists and audio engineer...
After the pandemic accelerated the migration of workflows, companies, and everything to the cloud, Chief Technology Officers at many organizations had to grapple with new, pressing concerns. Not the ...
This guide features different workarounds you can try if the Ubisoft Connect app is not working on Windows 11/10. Ubisoft Connect is an ecosystem for Ubisoft games and helps different players to conn...
Friday, June 18, 2021 Street artist Alessia Babrow has sued the Vatican, alleging that the Philatelic and Numismatic Office of the Vatican City State copied her artwork without her permission ...
NEWS 05 August 2021 But a study of the publications of millions of researchers also suggests that women are less likely to continue their academic careers than their male counterparts. Katha...
Microsoft Exchange's servers currently being hacked by the new ransomware group that goes by the information LockFile via the ProxyShell vulnerabilities that were recently discovered. (Photo: by...
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here. UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION Washington, D.C. 20549 FORM 8-K CURRENT REPORT Pursuant to Se...
There are reports by some Xbox console gamers and Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC gamers alike, whereby they get the Error 0x800c0005 when playing media (song or music video) on Xbox App on their respect...
The question of roa safety on the internet is quite important in this modern day. Every time you surf the Net, websites are hands down collecting your data, based on your amazing IP address. Firs...
Cybersecurity researchers have detailed a new campaign that likely targets entities in Southeast Asia with a previously unrecognized Linux malware that's engineered to enable remote access to i...
By Eric Griffith May 2008, 2005 The hotspot list is offering software to help out easy access with an integrated for-fee VPN and SMTP support, all to keep you guarded and communicating wh...
This guide is about the How to maintain proxy in Firefox for Android. We will try our best in order that people understand this guide. I hope you cherish this blog How to configure proxy inside...
From the basic building blocks of the internet to cryptocurrency mining on a supercomputer, SOCKS sits at the core of computing. A SOCKS proxy can be used to improve network security in an enterprise...
Boaz Weinstein’s rigid, Saba Investments , specializes in targeting closed-end moolah , taking sizable the price reduction positions and initiating proxy fights to force usually the firms to liqu...